BULGARIA: The leasing arm of ARMEEC to acquire ERB Leasing

Bulgaria's ARMEEC Leasing, part of local insurer ARMEEC, intends to acquire the Bulgarian unit of ERB Leasing, part of Greece's Eurobank group.

In this regard, ARMEEC seeks regulatory nod to acquire the ERB unit, wrote SEE NEWS: "Bulgaria's competition authority said it has received a request from ARMEEC Leasing, (...), to approve the purchase of Sofia-based ERB Leasing (...)".

"The acquisition is expected to affect the markets of financial and operational leasing," the Commission for Protection of Competition said in a statement.

ARMEEC Leasing is a part of non-life insurer ARMEEC, which is part of the Bulgarian holding CHIMIMPORT. The insurance company ARMEEC was set up in April 1996 by the Bulgarian Defence Ministry. In July 2002, the Bulgarian holding CHIMIMPORT (with business in finance, production of oil and gas, production and trading with petroleum products, processing and trading with grain and oilseed oils, trading with chemicals and fertilizers, aviation, river and maritime transport) acquired 91.92% of the insurer's capital, the Ministry of Defense retaining the remaining 8.08% of the share capital. At the end of 2017, ARMEEC reported GWP worth EUR 100 million, being the third largest non-life insurer in the country (market share of 11%).

ERB Leasing, an affiliate company of Eurobank Bulgaria - (the third largest depository institution in the country, as well as the second largest mortgage lender, and the largest credit card issuer) is active in financial and operational leasing services.

Follow XPRIMM Publications on LinkedIn, for more data on the insurance and financial industry.

Share |

Related articles

Bulgaria: Boiko ATANASSOV appointed as FSC's head

The Parliament of the Republic of Bulgaria appointed Boiko ATANASSOV as Chairperson of the Financial Supervision Commission (FSC) on March 15, with 134 votes in favour, none opposed or abstained.

2019-03-21

BULGARIA: EUROHOLD turned on profit in 2018

Bulgarian EUROHOLD -owner of EUROINS Insurance Group (EIG) - announced in its preliminary financial report for 2018 - a positive financial result in amount of BGN 1.7 million (EUR 871,800) versus a loss of BGN 17.3 million (EUR 8.84 million) for the comparable period last year.

2019-02-05

ON THE MOVE

Bulgaria: Boiko ATANASSOV appointed as FSC's head

The Parliament of the Republic of Bulgaria appointed Boiko ATANASSOV as Chairperson of the Financial Supervision Commission (FSC) on March 15, with 134 votes in favour, none opposed or abstained.

21.03.2019

TOP EVENT

Climate and cyber: two Cs with catastrophic potential and the insurance business - under debate in Vienna, on April 9

10 years after its inception, the Romanian mandatory dwelling insurance system has progressed and PAID, the pool underwriting and managing the mandatory policies is a strong and financially sound institution. "We are currently managing a reinsurance program worth EUR 920 million, with a pool of excellent reinsurers, more than half of them rated AA+, while the company's solvency rate is of 220%," recently stated Nicoleta RADU, CEO, PAID.

21.03.2019

Conclusions: TBILISI - the first Georgian International Insurance Conference

The first Georgian International Insurance Conference took place on 14 March 2019. The event put under scrutiny the current status and the future development perspectives of the local market, in an attempt of identifying the main growth opportunities. The forthcoming launch of the mandatory MTPL system was the most important topic on the agenda, as this new line of business has the potential to provide for a significant growth, but also to become a market disruptor.

14.03.2019

See all