PAID Romania aims to declare March 4th as The National Day of Natural Disasters Awareness
The summary of casualties inflicted by the 1977 earthquake:
- 1,578 dead;
- 11,321 injured, mainly because of buildings collapsing;
- 156,000 flats from urban environments and 21,000 houses from the countryside were completely destroyed or severely damaged;
- 366,000 flats from urban environments and 117,000 houses from the countryside required repairs;
- the total economic losses reached USD 2 billion, from which 70% reported in Bucharest.
Romanians can support this initiative by visiting paidromania.ro and signing the petition!
To accomplish the campaign's objectives, throughout 2019, PAID Romania will unroll an ample media project, coordinated by agencies Mullen (the content creating component) and Initiative (the media component), the two combining strategic and communicating elements in a way that the campaign's message - "Insured, we are less vulnerable" - will reach every Romanian homeowner.
The campaign will include:
- a special radio transmission, broadcasted by 8 important Romanian radio stations, at the exact hour when the earthquake happened 42 years ago - at 9:22 pm, 4 March 2019;
- an outdoor mesh placed on one of the most transited intersections in Bucharest, illustrating what could happen in case of another earthquake;
- a video material, soon to be launched on TV and online;
- a highly elaborated online project.
"Sociological studies have always shown that homes are one of the most important goods owned by Romanians. Other studies show that Romania has a very high exposure to natural disasters. Facing these facts, we were surprised to find out that only 19% of Romanian homes are insured! For us, this was an alarm signal which made us understand that, besides good trained professionals in insurance and risk management, we need an experienced communication team as well when it comes to social causes", mentioned Marius TIANU, Group Creative Director, MULLEN.
The compulsory house insurance policy in Romania (PAD) has a fixed price of either EUR 10 or EUR 20 per year (varies by the house type) and covers three risks - earthquakes, floods by natural causes, and landslides. PAD can be currently purchased from 18 insurers.
PAID was officially launched in November 2009, through the effort of 12 insurance companies, shareholders of PAID. Based on legal stipulations, PAID manages the system of mandatory household insurance in Romania, a policy which covers three basic risks specific to the country: Earthquake, Floods, Landslides.