STATISTICS: BOSNIA, 1H2016: Motor lines generate about 80% of the non-life insurer's expenses for claims

The aggregate GWP value generated by the Bosnian insurers was up by 7.86% y-o-y to BAM 316.90 million (EUR 162.03 million) in the first half of 2016, according to the figures provided by the two market authorities (NADOS - Insurance Supervisory Agency of FBiH and AZORS - Insurance Agency of RS). About 71% of total GWP were made by the 12 insurance companies which are registered in the FBiH (or EUR 115 million) the remaining 29% (EUR 47 million) being reported by the 13 RS insurers.

The GWP portfolio consisted of 19.71% - life insurance - the equivalent of EUR 32 million, the remaining 80.29% corresponding to the other 18 non-life insurance sub-classes: 49% - Motor TPL policies (EUR 79 million), 9.44% - motor hull (EUR 15.30 million) or 9.88% to property insurance - the equivalent of EUR 16 million.

The total value of paid claims was down by almost 12% y-o-y to EUR 61.66 million, of which EUR 12 million - life indemnities. On the non-life side, the two motor insurance classes accounted together for almost 77% (EUR 38.2 million) of the non-life insurer's expenses for claims.

As GWP volume, for the whole country, for both business segments, the largest three insurers were FBiH-based companies.

Thus the life segment was lead by UNIQA (25.38% share), followed by MERKUR (21.54%) and the FBiH based subsidiary of GRAWE (18.48%).

On the non-life side, SARAJEVO leads the market ranking, with a 10.82% market share, followed by EUROHERC (10.62%) and BOSNA-SUNCE (10.3%).

The largest RS-based insurers were, in case of life segment - GRAWE Banja Luka (ranked 4th, 11.31% share), while the largest non-life insurer was WIENER VIG - ranked 6th on the whole country non-life ranking (5.56% market share).

Access www.xprimm.com and download the 1H2016 Bosnian insurance market statistics (in EUR and BAM).

BiH insurance market indicators (FBiH and RS insurance markets, summed):
  • Market portfolio - GWP/Claims/Growth rates
  • Rankings - life/non-life (GWP/Claims/Market shares/Growth rates)
FBiH insurance market indicators:
  • Market portfolio (GWP/Claims/Growth rates)
  • Rankings - life/non-life (GWP/Claims/Market shares/Growth rates)
RS insurance market indicators:
  • Market portfolio - GWP/Claims/Growth rates
  • Rankings - life/non-life (GWP/Claims/Market shares/Growth rates)

Related articles

STATISTICS: BOSNIA, 3Q: 8% y-o-y increase in GWP and a new market leader

Based on the figures released by AZOBIH - Insurance Agency of Bosnia and Herzegovina, at the end of September 2016 the aggregate value of GWP by the 27 insurers active in Republika Srpska and Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina - the two administrative entities of the country, was of EUR 245.2 million, or 7.9% more y-o-y, while the value of claims paid was down by 5.2% y-o-y, to EUR 90.9 million.

2017-01-12

STATISTICS: Bosnian insurance market remained on track during 1Q

According to the 1Q financial figures published by the two market authorities which supervise the Bosnian insurance market (Insurance Supervisory Agency of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina - NADOS, and Insurance Agency of Republika Srpska - AZORS) - the local insurance industry totalled almost EUR 75 million, at the end of March 2016, representing an increase of 7% y-o-y.

2016-08-04

STATISTICS: BiH, FY2015: steady growth fueled by the MTPL line

The Bosnian insurance market saw a 4.7% y-o-y growth, to GWP of EUR 301 million, while paid claims remained fairly stable at the previous year's level, of EUR 128 million. It is however interesting to observe that the strongest contribution to the market growth belonged to insurers from smallest administrative entity of the country, the Republica Srpska. Thus, RS's share in the overall premium production increased by about 1.5 pp, to 29%.

2016-02-04

STATISTICS: BOSNIA, 3Q: Double-digit increase of RS based insurers pushed up the aggregate market figures

Based on the figures released by the insurance agencies in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH) and the Srpska Republic (RS), in 3Q2015 the aggregate value of GWP by the 24 insurers active in the two administrative entities that formed the country was EUR 227.2 million, or 4.4% more y-o-y. Overall, the value of claims paid increased by almost 5% y-o-y to EUR 96 million.

2015-11-19

STATISTICS: BOSNIA, 1H2015: Srpska based insurers increased their weight in the market

The 24 insurers operating in the two administrative entities of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH - Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and RS - Republika Srpska) reported GWP of BAM 293.8 million (EUR 150.23 million), up 3.7% y-o-y, according to the aggregate figures provided by the two market authorities (NADOS - Insurance Supervisory Agency of FBiH and AZORS - Insurance Agency of RS).

2015-10-08

ON THE MOVE

TOP EVENT

photodune-3834701-laughing-girl-xs

"IIF2017 - Insurance in the DIGITAL World" Conference took place in Vienna

"IIF2017 - Insurance in the DIGITAL World" conference brought together in Vienna well-known insurance professionals from all over the world who analyzed the latest digital trends in the industry, taking into account the fast digitalization of the financial services providers' world, in particular in the insurance field, which is creating both huge opportunities and strong challenges for the players.

14.11.2017

photodune-3834701-laughing-girl-xs

Croatian Insurance Days Live

On 9 November has started in Opatija, Croatia, the 2017 edition of the Croatian Insurance Days Conference, the traditional meeting of the Croatian insurance top professionals with their European peers. XPRIMM Publications are supporting the event as Media Partners.

09.11.2017

photodune-3834701-laughing-girl-xs

The 2017 Baden Baden Meeting: Short recap

The Baden-Baden meeting, one of the key events in the reinsurance calendar, has just set the final point of this year's edition. XPRIMM Publications have reported from the meeting's premises. Let's recap!

26.10.2017

Baden Baden Headlines 3: CEE insurance markets are attractive for reinsurers

Central and Eastern Europe insurance markets are an important source of business for Lloyds, total premium income from this region increasing by EUR 64 million since 2010, pointed out the Lloyd's representative in a seminar dedicated to CEE insurance markets: "We are seeing strong growth from Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine. At the same time are some contractions from Russia, Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary due to challenging trading conditions as political implications and other sanctions".

25.10.2017

Baden Baden Headlines 2: cyber insurance market set to grow under regulatory presure; nat cat events more frequent, but losses per event are decreasing

Asian insurance market, especially the Indian market - are considered to be "the new El-Dorado" of the global re/insurance market, with rapidly expanding markets and an dynamic environment: "Indian P&C re/insurance markets are expected to grow at a pace of 15% per annum", according  to Victor PEIGNET, CEO, Global P&C, SCOR SE. The French -based reinsurer setted-up its Indian branch in 2016, after the authorisation from the local market authority - IRDAI. India's re/insurance market has become more attractive for global companies following the relaxation of regulatory requirements, and lately, "big names" in the industry entered the market by opening branches: GEN Re, SCOR, Lloyd's of London, MUNICH Re, SWISS Re, Reinsurance Group of America (RGA), HANNOVER Re, XL Catlin and others.

24.10.2017

BB Headlines: Rates are settled to increase following Q3 events

The main effect after the Q3 nat cat bill of over USD 100 billion: Global reinsures said - the "discounts and reductions in tariffs era" especially in European reinsurance market for the January 2018 renewals, will come to end. At the same time, some reinsurers might disappear and there are likely to be more mergers, acquisitions and run-offs processes.

23.10.2017

photodune-3834701-laughing-girl-xs

Baden-Baden Reinsurance Symposium: the industry-wide impact of disruption

"In our business we are more than used to disruptions [...] But the pace of disruption has been amplified by new sources of data and by the increase in the power to collate this data", James NASH, the President, International of GUY Carpenter stated during his opening address at the Reinsurance Symposium in Baden-Baden on 22 October.

23.10.2017

See all