STATISTICS: CZECH Rep., 1Q2017: 3.3% GWP growth; KOOPERATIVA pojistovna-VIG takes up the market leadership

In the first quarter of 2017 the 25 Czech insurers, members of local professional association (CAP), reported aggregate GWP of CZK 32.1 billion (~EUR 1.2 billion), up by 3.3% y-o-y.

Of total sum, 34% (CZK 10.9 billion) was generated by life insurers, the remaining 66% being related to non-life subclasses (CZK 21.2 billion). In terms of growth rates, life insurance GWP decreased by about 0.5% y-o-y, while the two motor lines reported growth rates of 8.8% (MoD) and 3.3% (MTPL).

It is worth mentioning that according to the "ARAD time series database" available on the CNB website (Czech National Bank) - the local insurance industry totaled at the end of March about CZK 39.3 billion (~EUR 1.5 billion). Data published by CNB include the results for the domestic insurers and branches of foreign companies (51 companies). For the life segment, the aggregate GWP value (incl. reinsurance) was CZK 14.6 billion (EUR 541 million). For the non-life segment, the same indicator was CZK 24.7 billion (EUR 914 million).

In order to see the full list of the Czech domestic insurers and branches of foreign companies, as well as which of the companies are CAP members, click here.

According to CAP figures, at the end of March 2017, the largest insurer in the contry in GWP terms was KOOPERATIVA pojistovna part of Austrian Vienna Insurance Group: GWP of CZK 7.1 billion (5%more y-o-y) or 22% market share. Established in 1991 as the first commercial insurance company on the territory of former Czechoslovakia, KOOPERATIVA is one of the largest VIG unit outside Austria.

CESKA pojistovna - the leading insurance company under GENERALI CEE Holding and the oldest Czech insurer- ranked second (GWP of CZK 6.9 billion, 21.7% market share) followed by the local subsidiary of the German insurer ALLIANZ.

Access www.xprimm.com and download the preliminary 1Q2017 Czech Republic insurance market statistics in EUR and CZK:

· GWP portfolio / growth rates / shares according to CAP & CNB;

· Market rankings (according to CAP) on the following segments: total market / life / non-life / MoD / MTPL.

Share |

Related articles

VIG Group's Czech companies won multiple awards

Vienna Insurance Group's (VIG) companies Kooperativa and Ceska podnikatelska pojistovna (CPP) led the way in the Association of Czech Insurance Brokers' "Insurer of the Year" survey, taking the top two spots in all four of the main categories.

2018-06-13

STATISTICS: CZECH REP., 3Q2016: Motor policies maintained the market on the upward trend

According to data released by the Czech Insurance Association (CAP), in 3Q 2016 the insurance market has been driven by non-life insurance segment which reported a y-o-y growth rate of 4.2%, while life policies continues to decrease by about 2.1%. Overall, the aggregate GWP increased slightly by CZK 1.61 billion (to CZK 89.57 billion or EUR 3.32.billion), which corresponds to a y-o-y growth rate of 1.8%.

2016-11-17

ON THE MOVE

Three new appointments at XL Catlin insurance operations

XL Catlin insurance operations announced on 4 June three appointments: Donnacha SMYTH as President Global Excess Casualty Insurance; Carla GREAVES as Chief Underwriting Officer, Global Excess Casualty; Aurelie FALLON SAINT-LO as Senior Underwriter, Environmental and Client & Distribution Leader for Western France.

07.06.2018

TOP EVENT

5th Annual Insurance Business Forum "Challenges of the Year 2018"

will take place on September 17-21, 2018 in Sochi
The upcoming Forum, supported by the All-Russian Union of Insurers (ARIA), will logically continue a detailed discussion of the most pressing issues previously raised at ARIA events in 2018: Insurance and Reinsurance International Congress in Moscow and Insurance International Conference in St. Petersburg.

12.06.2018

See all